Introduction: What is Avast Game Mode?
Avast Game Mode is a special gaming mode that turns off any non-essential processes and optimizes your system for better gaming performance. Instead of playing games, it can slow down your PC to a crawl. This program is found in the Avast Security package or in the free Avast Free Antivirus trial application. Game-mode is automatically turned on when you go into gaming mode.
Avast Game Mode is also known as Avast Gaming Mode, AVG Gaming Mode, AVG Anti-Virus Gaming Mode, AVG Game Booster and AVG Anti-virus Game Booster.
How to Disable Avast Game Mode?
Microsoft Windows Vista/7/8 users can enable or disable the game mode in easily. You will find the option from control panel > programs and features > program management > turn off avast game mode.
Microsoft Windows XP users can enable or disable the game mode by selecting the proper option from the following: Avast Gaming Mode > Disabled or Enabled. You will find these options from Avast Gaming Mode Settings in Control Panel > Programs and Features.
Microsoft Windows 8 users can enable or disable the game mode by selecting the proper option from Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Disable SuperFetch.
Microsoft Windows XP users can enable or disable the game mode from registry: Start > Run > type regedit and open registry editor using the default settings. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Avast\AVPrivacy and from the menu select option “Always ask before opening”.
How to Turn Off and Disable Avast Game Mode
Avast Game Mode is a feature that when enabled, it will close any programs and services that could delay or slow down your computer. This program is optional, but it can disable and stop certain running processes that are part of a game you are playing. The biggest problem with Avast Game Mode, is not being able to turn it off. Several players have reported that they cannot disable AVD (Avast Virtual Defender), which is the feature related to Avast Game Mode. Avast Game Mode also cannot be disabled if it is activated by a game’s launcher. But there is a workaround solution if you want to turn off Game Mode.
How to turn off Avast Game Mode:
1. Go to the Windows Start menu and open “Run”. In the window that pops up type “services.msc” and then press enter at the Run prompt. A Services window will pop up.
2. Scroll down to “AVP” and double click it, then in the next window that comes up, click on the stop button located next to “AVP”. This will stop the Virtual Defender service.
3. Now go to your Game or Launcher where you have enabled Avast Game Mode and search for “Avast Virtual Defender” setting it to disabled, or unchecking its box.
Conclusion: Why Turning Avast Game Mode Off Benefits Your Computer and How It’s Done
When you play a game and have Avast Game Mode enabled, these processes are running on your computer:
– The game is running in the foreground, not in the background
– Avast is watching your current process for other suspicious activity like downloading programs, visiting websites etc.
– Avast is using its own windows monitoring to monitor your activity and stop it when you are playing a game.
– Avast is also using its own windows monitoring to check if you have allowed an installation of an application like Skype or some other program.
So, if you turn off Avast Game Mode, you are running:
– The game in the background- Avast is not watching your current process for suspicious activity like downloading programs, visiting websites etc.